Being organized and prepared is the key to a timely as well as cost efficient appraisal.
Below are a few tips that will help with the appraisal process.
1. Decide which items are going to be appraised. Make a list if possible.
2. Be clear about the purpose of the appraisal and the type of value you need. researched. Is it for insurance scheduling, estate tax, dissolution? Insurance Replacement Cost or Fair Market Value?
3. Gather documentation, i.,e. receipts, certificates, previous appraisals, letters, etc.
4. Have all items unlocked and available.
5. Pull large furniture away from the wall, if possible.
6. Have good lighting available.
7. Separate sets of silver, china and stemware. Provide maker and pattern names if known.
8. Unpack boxes of items to be appraised.
9. Have step stools and ladders available
to reach items located up high.